Lead Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET)
As a lead SDET at Radix, you will apply your boundless cunning to break distributed systems in new and interesting ways. You will study and emulate known attacks, and then concoct some new ones. You will make sure the happy path scenarios function as advertised, and that a massive array of potential error conditions all fail gracefully, predictably, and in a recoverable fashion. And you’ll do it all within an automated testing framework that you’ll come up with, mostly from scratch. There will be some days when you’ll feel that your brain has been twisted into a warranty-voiding configuration, but we’re all accustomed to that here, and we promise you’ll enjoy the ride.
Your first major task will be to start creation of a framework which can spin up and down test clusters on demand, and run test scenarios with some control knobs to simulate real-world trustless distributed networks. Delaying messages, losing them, munging them, that sort of thing. Once that’s done, and you’re up to speed on the Radix architecture and our particular consensus algorithm, then the real fun begins. You’ll get the singular pleasure of making the developers sweat as you implement malicious attacks, network splits, and assorted gremlins.
Of course, you’ll also need to come up with test plans, highlight gaps in coverage, and provide tasking and mentoring for junior testers who will come to idolize you, but that’s part and parcel of any lead SDET role. It just happens to be more fun and interesting at Radix, because we only hire fun and interesting people. Anyone who slips past the gauntlet and is later discovered to be not-fun is promptly fired into the sun.
- You have owned quality assurance for a project in the past, and are comfortable creating, presenting, and tracking a complete testing strategy from beginning to end.
- You’re a confident coder, and are able to design and build internal tools from scratch.
- You’re at least noddingly familiar with how distributed ledger technology works, and the associated cryptographic protocols.
- You’re intelligent and you learn quickly. A lot of what we do here is rolling back the boundaries of known space, and there’s no playbook to refer to.
We labor in the service of our great master, Cerberus. Cerberus is the first model of consensus that delivers high throughput while solving the central need of decentralised finance—atomic composability. We call him “Cerby” for short.
Though geographically diverse, we are an exceptionally close-knit team. We count on each other, and we take comfort in knowing the team is always there to step in and take up the load when we run into tough problems. Three times a year we all fly to an exotic destination for a week of planning, hacking, and festivities (except when driven underground by the covid beast). The anticipation leading up to these “Radix summits” is the adult version of looking forward to your favorite holiday.
Decentralised finance and Ethereum are groaning under the stress of too many users pounding square-peg needs into a round-hole platform. We went back to first principles to come up with the right solution, and we have already tested out at over 1 million transactions per second. We have forged a path deep into the future of what distributed ledger technology is going to look like, together with the business case that assures adoption, and we need you to come and be part of the team that is making that happen right now. Join us!
- Tertiary qualifications in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 5+ years experience as a Test Engineer / SDET / Automation Tester.
- 2+ years experience leading small teams (think 2-5 people).
- Strong Java programming skills.
- Experience with tools for Continuous Integration testing.
- Experience with Docker.
- Knowledge of security and penetration testing techniques.
Things That Will Really Help You Stand Out
- In-depth knowledge of BFT-style consensus systems.
- Experience with ATDD or BDD.
- Experience with distributed application testing.
- Experience with performance/load testing.
To apply for this position, click here to apply on Workable.